This recipe was really good. I was a little worried that my family wouldn't like it but they all did! It's fairly healthy (besides the fact that I add tons of cheese to it) and relatively easy and quick to make.
*Olive oil for sauteing and coating peppers for baking
*1/2 lb ground turkey (mine was closer to 3/4 lb because that's what I had)
*1/2 white onion, diced
*1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
*1 cup frozen sweet corn
*1 T taco seasoning (you can make your own to make this lower sodium) I also added garlic powder.
*3 large bell peppers, halved, de-seeded (I did 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange)
*1 cup (...or 10 pounds) of shredded cheese (mexican blend or monterrey jack is good)
1. Preheat oven to 375. On a large baking sheet, place pepper halves upright and drizzle olive oil all over them. Bake them 15-20 mins or until peppers are blistering and getting slightly translucent around edges. Set aside.
2. While peppers are in the oven- In large skillet, saute onions in 1-2 T olive oil until soft. Then add in ground turkey. Cook till turkey is done and drain liquids. Add in taco seasonings. Stir to combine well. Add in beans and corn.
3. Cook meat mixture for about 5 minutes longer and then remove from heat.
4. Take the (somewhat cooled) halves of peppers and place them in a small casserole dish. Use a spoon and scoop filling inside the peppers. Overstuffing is a good thing!
5. Sprinkle a good amount of cheese on top... don't be shy, enough to cover it all. Place under broiler on high till cheese is melted and bubbly.
6. Serve immediately.
|Peppers rubbed down with oil and put on baking sheet and in oven|
|Ground turkey with taco seasonings, onion, corn and black beans.|
|Put baked peppers into casserole dish|
|add cheese and put under broiler till bubbly|