Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kaytucky Chicken


I found this recipe on pinterest and had to try it. What's not to like??! Chicken... good! Cream cheese... good! Bacon... great! Puff Pastry... awesome!!! I really liked this recipe, but even more, I liked the idea. Next time I make it I will play with it a bit. I may stuff the chicken with brie and thin sliced green apple!! Mmmmm!

Here is the link for the original recipe from someones blog... Kaytucky Chicken

Ingredients
* 4 chicken breasts- butterflied
* 2 boxes frozen puff pastry sheets (I used Pepperidge Farms brand)
* 4-6 oz cream cheese
* handfull flat-leaf parsley- chopped
* 1 green onion- diced thin
* 1 garlic clove- minced
* 4-6 strips of bacon- crispy. Torn into small pieces (you could fry up pancetta and use that too)
* 1 egg- beaten
* salt and pepper

1. Defrost pastry sheets in fridge for at least 6 hours before hand so they are easier to work with. (I didn't do this step and it was hard to work with, which is why mine didn't look as pretty. Still tasted great though!

2. Preheat oven to 400 and spray cookie sheet with Pam

3. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, bacon and some pepper.

4. Stuff 1/4 of the mixture into each butterflied chicken breast. Close chicken around mixture. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper.

5. Take 2-3 sheets of the puff pastry and wrap around the chicken. Brush the beaten egg to the edges of the pastry- using it as a type of glue (the link to the recipe above gives good pictures on how to do this)

6. Place all 4 on a baking sheet and bake for 35 mins (or until chicken is cooked through... time will vary depending on thickness of chicken.)

Enjoy! I recommend serving this with some type of veggie... we love roasted broccoli or sauteed string beans!

**I originally was your to use pillsbury crescent rolls to wrap around the chicken. Then I realized the chicken would take 30+ minutes to cook through and the crescents only take 12 minutes. By the time the chicken would be cooked through, I was afraid the crescents would be burnt. The puff pastry sheets cooked nicely and were golden brown the same time as the chicken was done. It was nice and flaky too.


minced garlic and cream cheese 
cream cheese, bacon, green onion, parsley, garlic and fresh ground black pepper

Stuff Chicken

Close fold over

Season breasts with salt and pepper

Wrap in puff pastry sheets (mine were still frozen so didn't fold well making it hard to work with and not as pretty..)

Bake till golden and chicken cooked through

We cut them in half to serve. They were awesome!!

No comments: