Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pork Chops Florentine with herb oil, broccolini and savory tomatoes



Here is another meal out of the magazine I love, Cuisine for two. In order to make it for my family of four, 2 adults and 2 kids, I just added an extra pork chop, used a whole tomato and whole package of broccolini and also added a side of sliced roasted potatoes. It was the perfect amount. This recipe is right out of the magazine. I didn't alter recipe at all besides just adding a bit more. These italian pork chops really get their flavor from the fresh herbs. I wouldn't use dried herbs if at all possible. You are making 3 different things, but they will all end up on grill so it makes this a quick, easy weekday meal. 
INGREDIENTS:

For the herb oil-
* 1/4 c olive oil
* 6 torn fresh sage leaves 
* 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
* 1 T chopped fresh oregano
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

For the Broccolini-
* 6 oz broccolini
* olive oil, salt and pepper

For the Chops- 
* 2 bone-in pork loin chops, 1 inch thick (about 8 oz each) seasoned with salt and pepper (I used 3)

For the Tomato-
* 1/4 c panko crumbs
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 tomato slices (I used one medium tomato cut into 4 slices and added a bit more panko crumbs)
* 2 slices goat cheese, cut 1/2 inch thick (I used shredded mozz cheese because I had it on hand, but if I didn't I would have bought a fresh Mozzarella ball and sliced that to use since my family doesn't like goat cheese.
* Herb oil from above

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat grill to medium High

Combine 1/4 cup oil, sage, rosemary, oregano and garlic for herb oil in a shallow serving dish/plate. Set aside. 

Toss Broccolini with olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside. 

Grill Chops over direct heat, covered, 5 minutes per side, or to internal temp of 155. (I did season the chops with a little pepper/salt first). 

While chops are grilling, toss panko salt and pepper in shallow dish. Dip each tomato and cheese slice into the herbed oil you made above and then it says to dredge both sides of goat cheese slices into panko mixture, but since I used shredded cheese, I just dipped the tomato slices to coat them in the panko mixture instead. Place cheese on tomatoes. 

Transfer grilled chops to herb oil plate and let rest for 3 minutes; turn after 3 minutes. I covered plate with tinfoil to keep warm. 

While you are letting chops sit in oil, grill the broccolini and tomato slices on the grill. (Broccolini 3-4 minutes turning once) (Tomatoes around 5 minutes, until panko crumbs are golden). 

To serve, place one pork chop on each plate and some broccolini and tomato slice on each plate. Drizzle remaining herb oil over chops, broccolini and savory tomatoes. Enjoy! 

Herb oil in shallow plate

I dipped my tomato slices in the oil and then coated them with the panko crumbs. 

I then topped tomatoes with shredded mozz cheese. 

Tossed broccolini with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Place chops in oil after they are grilled to rest. 

Flip them after 3 mins (and during this time you will be grilling the broccolini and tomatoes.


Serve up each plate with a little of each and then drizzle remaining oil over top of it all. I also served a side of roasted sliced potatoes. 




No comments: